It is important to me I teach Jude & Ruby that the Holidays are about more than getting stuff, however…they like stuff. So why not give them wonderful gifts that not only make them happy but also help those in need?
1. Ergobaby by Guest Designer Christy Turlington Burns: Created to benefit Every Mother Counts, Christy’s non-profit dedicated to maternal health worldwide, this bold pattern originates from a small businesswoman and mother in Togo using wooden blocks to create the perfectly “imperfect” blue and brown print.
2. Grasshoppers hand crocheted elephant/koala/hippo motif on flat drawstring bag: The Grasshoppers brand, (since Oct 2001) is an Australian designed knitwear label for children, started by twin sisters, born in Zimbabwe, now living in Australia who began their own initiative of providing an income generating project for a community of rural women in Zimbabwe, recognizing their own natural talents in hand knitting, whilst at the same time introducing a top quality product to the Australian baby and children’s fashion and gift ware industry. The Zimbabwe women knitters are stakeholders in the business and profits from sales are re-directed into the business for future growth and development, to help relieve poverty and provide ongoing work opportunities.
3. ‘Darfur’s Tears’ by Rob Gould for Common Threadz: For each t-shirt you buy, they give a school uniform to an orphan or vulnerable child so they can go to school. For $29 you are able to help change the life of a child in need while receiving a limited-edition, high quality t-shirt in return.
4. St. Jude’s Children’s Kitchen Tool kit: Featuring St. Jude patient inspired artwork, and recipe cards from St. Jude head Chef Miles McMath. St. Jude is unlike any other pediatric treatment and research facility. Discoveries made here have completely changed how the world treats children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. With research and patient care under one roof, St. Jude is where some of today’s most gifted researchers are able to do science more quickly.
5. TOCKYRED Special Edition alarm clock:In 2010, 1,000 babies were born every day with HIV. In 2011, that number was down to 900. By 2015 it can be near zero. We can stop the transmission of HIV from moms to their babies. In the fight to eliminate AIDS, 2015 could be the beginning of the end – it’s the year we can deliver an AIDS Free Generation.
6. One Love Book to benefit Unicef: Bob Marley’s daughter adapts her father’s music into an inspirational tale of community. Shop for a cause and help children in need! Every UNICEF card and gift you buy supports our efforts to save children’s lives around the world.
7. Black Dot Tiny TOMS Classics: With every pair purchased, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. One for One. As of September 2010, TOMS has given over one million pairs of new shoes to children in need around the world!
8. FEED Our Small World Tee: Each FEED Our Small World Tee purchase will provide 150 children with essential Vitamin A supplements – a nutrient proven to be particularly crucial to the health of a growing child.